Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thrifty Idea: Easy Home-made Yogurt Recipe

When I heard of people making home-made yogurt for the first time, I thought... eek... that seems kind of risky! But after hearing of several people making it at home, I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did. It is very easy! You just need to give yourself 5 1/2 hours for mixing and setting and then 8 hours for it to completely finish setting. Read the recipe below to see what I mean, and then plan accordingly :-)

Here is the recipe:

SLOW-COOKER YOGURT

8 cups (half-gallon) of milk (The recipe recommends using whole milk until you get the hang of yogurt making, but 2 percent worked fine for us. Just don't use ultra-pasteurized "long-life'' milk.)

1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active-culture plain yogurt as a starter.

1 packet plain gelatin (optional, I don't use this, but it will give your yogurt more of a store-bought consistency if you are picky about that)

Plug in slow cooker and turn to low. Add the milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.

Unplug cooker. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.

Scoop out 2 cups of the warm milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in yogurt and gelatin. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crock-pot. Stir.

Put the lid back on the cooker. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around it.

Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.

Chill in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will be good for seven to 10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.


For more thrifty ideas, visit Generation Cedar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm going to give this a try, thanks!!!! I also read another recipe (that wasn't slow cooker) that said for fruit flavored yogurt, just mix in a little preserves.