Thursday, April 16, 2009

What To Do If You Run Out of....

I am starting a list of what to do if you run out of things. I have done this so many times (run out of something) and didn't want to go to the store just for that one thing. I will add things as I think of them and if any readers want to add, just comment and I will add it to the post (of course at my discretion*smile*). I am going to try to just keep it as a running list in random order:


1. Coffee filters: Well this takes a "little" planning.
You either have to already have a plastic, re-usable filter. Or one coffee filter left. Once I ran out of coffee filters and I had one left. O.k. I know it sounds funny, but IT WORKS! I had one left, so I rinsed it out and laid it on top of a cup. The next morning it was dry! And I used it again. I think I rinsed and re-used it for at least 3 or 4 days. I guess I COULD HAVE gone to the store and bought another pack for a dollar, but I had too much fun experimenting.

2. Conditioner: Thanks to Shannon who posted about it on her blog. I occasionally use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with about a cup of water and pour on my head instead of conditioner. KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED!!! Makes for nice shiny hair. Then I go back to regular conditioner after about a week.

3. coffee: Run to the store and BUY SOME MORE immediately!!!! sorry... can't think of anything else LOL (I guess you could drink hot tea?)

4. Dishwasher soap or laundry detergent: Dishwashing liquid. Just a squirt! Or for dishwasher soap, you can use just about a TBSP of bleach. *revised: This isn't the best idea.... I have used very tiny amounts with sucess - rare thing!
But if one isn't careful, there will be millions of bubbles and a huge mess!.
Your best bet? Handwash your dishes!

5. Fabric softener: vinegar (I use this instead of all the time)
6. toothpaste: baking soda!
7. Floor cleaner: mix a cup of vinegar with a squirt of dishwashing liquid and fill mop bucket with hot water
8. I buy those foaming hand soap containers and then when they run out, I fill about 1/4 full of dish-soap. It works as a great replacement for regular hand soap!

6 comments:

Erin said...

This is great! I really like the one about coffee LOL!

Bria Cosper said...

I love this!!! The last three I do alot. LOL coffee "Run to the store!!!" That sounds like something mom would do.

Anonymous said...

oh no....you should NEVER put dishwashing liquid in your dishwasher, it will get damaged and leak everywhere. you can ONLY use dishwasher soap in the dishwasher!!

Kim M. said...

Amy, I have only used teeny tiny bits with no problems, but if one were to use much at all ... yes... bubbles everywhere!!!
:-D
My dishwasher is fine, but like I said, I only do that when I run out (which isn't often).

Kim M. said...

I added a revision to the dishwashing liquid tip.

Erin said...

Remember when I called you a while back and said "I put dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher! I'm cleaning the bubbles off the floor! It's everywhere what should I do?!?!" LOL! So yes, only use a TINY (like a few drops) of the liquid if you run out of detergent. haha...but I don't have a dishwasher anymore, so I don't have that problem.