Saturday, April 17, 2010

Healthy Stew

I am watching my carbohydrates, but not avoiding them completely. This stew is really good because it cuts out high carb vegetables. Probably the highest vegetable I added was carrots, but in moderation it doesn't hurt.

I usually make stew with corn & potatoes, but I used cauliflower, cabbage, and green beans to substitute. This was a hit with my family.

Pound of ground venison (or low fat ground beef)
large can of tomato sauce
1/4 of fresh cabbage (chopped into bite sized)
1 bag of baby carrots
1 package of fresh, sliced mushrooms
1/4 of cauliflower (chopped into bit sized)
1 can of green beans
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste (you could also add a little chili powder if you want.)

Brown meat and drain. While you are browning the meat, boil all of the fresh vegetables in a large stew pot. After the vegetables are tender, add the can of tomato sauce, meat, and spices. Heat through and enjoy.
I usually thicken with cornstarch, but I didn't for this stew. It was still good!
Heat through and enjoy.

No comments: