Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breakfast cake

I clipped a recipe from a magazine that is just absolutely delicious.


Breakfast cake


1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour  (I used mostly wheat)
1 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1 egg
1 cup of buttermilk (I sour my milk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup of applesauce (either sweetened or not... I think it needs the sweetened kind because this is not an extremely sweet cake)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used maple)
2 cups of fruit.   I tried frozen berries the first time, but they were not sweet enough.  The second time, I tried canned, dark sweet cherries.  Perfect!

Grease a 9x13 cake pan.

Mix all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.  Mix all wet ingredients separately except fruit.  Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Fold in fruit.  Bake at 375* for  35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  (20 servings)

I love this with coffee!

No comments: