Thursday, March 19, 2009

Laundry Soap (Home-made)

Home-made laundry soap

I have been making home-made laundry soap for awhile now. I doubt I'll ever go back to the other kind.

There are a lot of recipes on the internet but this is the one I use.

You will need:

Five Gallon Bucket

Hot water
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 bar Soap (grated) (I use either Castille Soap or Fels Naptha)


  • In a pot, place grated soap. Cover the soap with water. Heat until melted.
  • Fill a five gallon bucket half full with HOT water
  • add melted soap mixture
  • stir
  • add washing soda and borax and stir until dissolved
You may use it right away. It will gel overnight. I use a soup ladle and 1 cup per load.

This site has a GREAT tutorial and analysis and even a video! Check it out. He is really detailed.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

Here is another link for 10 different recipes. You may find another you like better than mine or one that is more detailed. Play around with it and have fun!

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a good homemade laundry detergent recipe... I tried making my own dish soap, and it didn't seem to work out for me too well. Do you feel like this really cleans your laundry? Have you ever used liquid castille instead of bar (that's what I have on hand)?

Shannon

Kim M. said...

Shannon,

I have been making home-made laundry soap ever since my youngest was in cloth diapers. It cleaned them well. As for stains, I would suggest pre-treating them or soaking.
The biggest adjustment to me was the fact that it isn't sudsy. But, the savings made up for that!

I have never used liquid castille soap (I have never seen it around here), but I am sure it would work great. If you are interested in trying the laundry detergent, I highly recommend going to this site:

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

He does a GREAT job explaining everything. And it is very detailed and informational. There is also a video. :-)