Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Country Style Meat- N- Taters

I fixed this for our supper tonight, and since it is done early I will share a tip I learned from my mother- in- law. If you want to keep your food warm, just wrap it in foil, a big heavy bath towel, and put it in a warm oven (turned off). It should stay warm for several hours. (good idea for Sunday dinners)



Country style Meat N Taters


Red potatoes
Ground meat (I used venison)
White gravy

  • Boil red potatoes whole (clean well first, cut an "x" and place in a large pot, cover and boil until tender... Mudder [our grandmother] says to add a little oil to the water to speed up the cooking! It works!)
  • brown meat and drain
  • make a white gravy <---- click here for recipe
Quarter the tender red potatoes (I left the skin) and mix together with the browned meat. Top with white gravy. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, & garlic powder. This would also be tasty topped with shredded cheese & mushrooms!

I made peas and carrots as sides.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Kim,

Just wanted to let you know I made this tonight for dinner. I wasn't so sure on the white gravy as I was doing it - but it turned out well and Michael and I both enjoyed it!

Thanks! Love this site!

Tonya Mayfield

Kim M. said...

Yay! That's great... if you don't like to mess with the white gravy, you could use cream of mushroom soup instead. But white gravy is just so cheap to make (and I usually just have the stuff on hand). Mine wasn't the best when I first started making it, but it gets easier with practice. Tell Michael we said "Hey!" :-)