Monday, January 28, 2013

Saving Money: Portion control with Drinks

We were going through lots of milk and tea.  I was in the habit of buying at least 5 gallons of milk every two weeks. My kids love to drink these things, but it is a killer on the budget!   Water is better for them ayway.  So I bought us each a water bottle and wrote our names on it with a Sharpie marker.  I don't know why, but there is something psychological about having a water bottle. You are more likely to drink water.  Who knows what is behind that?

They are allowed 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of juice, and 1 cup of tea per day.  That accounts for their three meals.  In between meals they are only allowed water.   I now only buy 3 gallons of milk every two weeks, and Michael has some tea available to him when he gets home from work instead of an empty container!  It works for us.

No comments: