Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Amish Whole Wheat Bread

I got this from my 1977 Amish cookbook (published by Pathway)

"Best Whole Wheat Bread"

Makes 3 loaves....

2 cups milk
1/3 sugar (can use honey)
1/3 cup of butter, plus 2 tbsp.
1 tbsp salt
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup of cold water
1 cup of very warm water
3 tbsp yeast

Scald milk. Add butter, sugar, and salt, stir until dissolved. Add whole wheat flour and beat rapidly with a wooden spoon (or mixer). Add dissolved yeast and cold water. Mix well, then add enough white flour to make a nice soft dough (Instead of white flour, I used wheat flour, oats and flax... just mix them in instead of white flour until dough is slightly sticky)

Let rise til double, punch down and turn over in a greased bowl. Let rise until double again. Then shape into 3 loaves and spank real hard to take out all air bubbles. Cover for 15 minutes. Let rise until double, then bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

2 comments:

southernsweetie99 said...

Thank you for this post!!! I have recently cut out all bleached wheat flour recipes and all sugar and this is a wonderful recipe and I can't wait to try it!!!!

Kim M. said...

Your welcome! I need to call you; I want to hear about this diet because I would love to go that route too.