Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Salad, A Great Summer Lunch

I really do not have much time for cooking lunches. Lunch-meat is way, way too salty so I usually do not buy it. I do not want to spend the money on pre-packaged lunches.
Sometimes we do leftovers. However usually, I only have enough for one meal (which I send with Michael to work). I know... I know... I need to cook extra.

So...what do ya do other than sandwiches or leftovers? I posted before about having a vegetable tray. Another option is to do salads.

Options are virtually limitless:

  • Lettuces: Spinach, Iceberg, Romaine....
  • Veggies: Broccoli, Carrots, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Red Cabbage shreds, Sprouts, Cauliflower......
  • Canned Vegetables: Any type of bean or pea, Chick Peas (my favorite!), Corn, Hominy...
  • Frozen vegetables (I am thinking peas)...
  • Strawberries, mandarin oranges, raisins...
  • Diced Meats (Cook a whole chicken early in the week,divide it into Ziploc bags, & freeze), boiled eggs...
  • Toppings: Bacon Bits, Salad Crispins, Nuts, Seeds, Shredded Cheeses...
If you are taking your lunch away from home, Glad brand makes pudding sized containers that are great for those things you don't want to add to your salad until the last minute!

Add wheat crackers, a cup of fruit,yogurt, or cottage cheese and you have the perfect lunch!

No comments: