Friday, September 2, 2011

Baking & Saving Money

It's the first year I have had the opportunity to plant a large garden, and I have enjoyed it so much.  It's time-consuming, but very rewarding.  I have the mindset that as a stay-at-home wife & mother, that I need to do whatever I can to help the family economy.  Part of that means gardening & baking from scratch.  Those two things do so much to save money.

Today I made butternut squash pies using pie crust from the freezer recipe I found online, and I also substituted powdered milk for canned evaporated milk.  Those links are below.  I recommend printing them and placing them in a recipe binder.

From Pantry Eats:  "Stocking Up.  Bulk Freezer Pie Crust Recipe". <----click

This is so economical because it costs pennies and you can have several in the freezer for quiche & pies!
The only thing I did differently was that instead of making "bricks", I rolled the pie crust out like I normally would, and then rolled it up like you find it at the grocery store. 

From Hillbilly Housewife:  " Saving Money with Powdered Milk"  <------click

I used powdered milk instead of buying cans of evaporated milk.  Much more economical!   




2 comments:

Pamela said...

Sounds good, Kim. Do you substitute evenly? Melanie planted a lot of squash.

Kim M. said...

If you are talking about the evaporated milk- yes, I do. :-)
For example, my recipe calls for a 12 oz can (or 1 1/3 cups). This is what I do according to the hillbilly houswife tips:
Measure 1-1/3 cups water into a jar or bowl. Add 1 cup of instant dry milk powder. Stir or shake to combine. This is the equivalent of a 12-ounce can of evaporated skim milk